Contra Mozilla

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Epic RCIA Curriculem

A friend tipped me off to this epic RCIA program. I wish I had more free time so that I could a) do something like this myself and then b) look into implementing it at my own parish. It's missing a few things, unless the section titled "That Catholic Thing" covers all the practical matters of the liturgical year etc (to be fair, that is probably me lest favorite topic for all of RCIA), and maybe whole sections for things like the seven deadly sins and the sins which cry out to heaven for vengeance; or the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit (which I suppose can be covered briefly with the section on the Holy Spirit).  I would personally probably try to end with the Beatitudes revisited, but this would require another week.

My thought about RCIA in general is that it's too short, that there needs to be more weeks to cover everything. Once upon a time, it was a three year process; now it goes barely 2/3 of a year.

Still, this is a very impressive looking curriculem, though it would be difficult to implement is run by volunteers. Difficult, incidentally, does not mean "impossible" or "not worth the effort." I also think that not everybody would be able to keep up with such a program, but it would be a nice "advanced RCIA/adult catechesis" course. Such is sorely lacking in most parishes, though I'm at one of the better ones in the diocese.

No comments:

Post a Comment