Contra Mozilla

Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Bowl

I didn't watch the game, I didn't watch the halftime show, and I didn't watch the commercials. From what I've been hearing, I didn't miss much.

Well, unless you count this epic commercial, but since I don't live in Georgia, I wouldn't have seen it anyway.



Whoa.

Aside from that, I am told that there wasn't much worth watching. The only other commercial I've heard bantered about is the Coke commercial celebrating homosexual unions. I don't drink much Coke anyway (I prefer the HEB brand sodas, since they use cane sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup), and honestly don't see this as being nearly as militant as, say, Starbucks.

The Super Bowl is considered one of the major cultural "events" in America--along with Grammys and Emmys and Oscars and Golden Globes--so it has naturally become one more venue to try pushing the envelope in the culture wars. For that matter, a pair of homosexuals holding hands while the song America the Beautiful [1] plays is hardly the most grievous example of envelope-pushing out there, especially given the context of an ongoing "gay rights" boycott of Coke over its sponsorship of the Winter Olympic Games.

Be that as it may, there usually is a bit of envelope-pushing associated with these things. Since we're not generally allowed to push back (except when we are)--and more importantly, since we tend to be on the side that isn't backed by wealthy companies which can afford to run such ads--there is only one other alternative: vote with our wallets and our eyes and tune out. I'd prefer pushing back, of course, since I hate to be culturally marginalized. But if the former doesn't happen to greater degree, the latter certainly will (and worse).


[1] God shed his grace on thee/'til selfish cause and unjust laws/no longer trouble thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment