- Many worlds: NASA "Unveils" 715 new planets, many of which are smaller than Neptune. Actually, it's not surprising that we are finding many planets which are little large than earth--it is, however, impressive that we are able to do it.
- A federal judge (who else) has ruled that Texas' constitutional amendment banning "gay marriages" is unconstitutional. No gay marriages will be performed here yet--or ever. Oh, they'll be legal, but declaring something "legal" doesn't make it "real," "moral," or "ontologically possible."
- In a related vein, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer has vetoed the bill which would allow Arizona businesses to refuse services to gays on religious grounds. Her stated reason is that it was "broadly worded" and could "have unintended consequences." I made similar comments in my initial assessment. With that said, the logical consequence of vetoing it for being too "broad" is that a narrower bill should pass and be signed.
- Of course, there may have been some financial motives as well. Several big businesses weighed in against the bill. I suppose that those who like to vote with their wallets should take note and act accordingly. Hopefully a narrower bill will pass and be signed. Real freedom does mean allowing others to make some decisions with which we disagree--that includes business owners.
- One more link to post on the same subject, then I'm done (for now). Ok, two. "It’s not that business owners want to 'refuse service' to gays simply because they’re gay; it’s that some business owners — particularly people who work in the wedding industry — don’t want to be forced to employ their talents in service of something that defies their deeply held religious convictions." This is it, in a nutshell. We either have this freedom of conscience, or we are not free. Ditto regarding the tyrannical HHS contraceptives/abortifacients/sterilization mandate.
- Theological "chatter" has its various victims. By this, I mean unguarded speculation by those in authority. Speculation is fine when its understood as such, but it's not meant as "pastoral advice" (or whatever).
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
A Few Good Links (Vol. 12)
Hump day, hump day, link dump day!